Tuesday, April 9, 2013

DIY Gold Leaf Monogram Art


Today we have fun tutorial from my contributor, Brittany! She is constantly coming up with great projects on her blog, brittanyMakes. I LOVE her latest DIY project and I think you will to! 

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

  Hey friends! Today I'm going to share with you a very simple art project that will definitely add a little bling to your home.  This project is twist on traditional art, we're going to use sheets of gold foil and school glue to get that custom, shiny, gorgeous look of gold with some pure satisfaction of creating the piece yourself. 



Here are the supplies you need:


First, stencil out your letter or shape of choice.  Using a paint brush, fill the shape with a light coat of school glue.



Next, cover the letter with one layer of gold foil.  Let the whole thing dry for a couple hours, you want the glue completely dry before brushing away the excess.  Once the glue is dry, take a soft artist brush and gently brush away the excess gold foil.  You'll be surprised how easily the foil will just fall from the edge of the letter.   This is the moment when you grab your broom or vacuum, because you'll need it to pick up all the gorgeous gold foil dust!  Or you can do as I do and let your dogs sniff the gold leaf as it falls from the paper, they end up with gold bits stuck to their noses (it's so cute!) :)



Lastly, trim and frame your masterpiece and display in your favorite spot - in your kitchen, on your mantel, or at your desk! You obviously aren't limited to one letter with this project, try spelling out words like "LOVE" or "HOME", or drawing a large object such as a big heart.

Thank you again Kirsten for sharing this project.  Enjoy!




Learn about all of my great contributors on my Meet The Team Page
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hi! I'm Brittany from the blog brittanyMakes, where I journal my adventures in DIY projects ranging from everyday home decor to handmade jewelry, from tips in photography to stories of bulldogs, and everything else in-between.   I am a fierce accountant by day and a zealous DIYer by night.  I spend my time balancing my love for home decor and design with the everyday responsibilities of my corporate day job.  My main mission is to inspire my readers to do what they love, take risks, and above all, to exercise their creative muscles!

No comments:

Post a Comment